For more information about our 1st year experience course, UC 160, please click here.
To see a LibGuide we created to support UC 160 course texts, please click here.
Tips For Increasing Librarian Visibility On Campus:
- Make 1st Year Experience Librarian part of your job title. I’ve not been formally declared the 1st Year Experience Librarian at OWU yet, but will be soon.
- Have a very active Facebook presence. I let my personality shine on Facebook and it’s resulted in a lot of great relationships with students over the years. I often get reference questions or requests for research appointments via Facebook messenger. I also join campus Facebook groups (Class of 2017, English Department, etc.).
- Represent your library at as many 1st year events as possible. At OWU, I first meet students at StART and see them again during Freshman Orientation. I also work with many students in our first year composition course (ENG 105).
- Co-teach a 1st year experience course. Maybe a co-teacher position will lead to you having your own section!
- Have an engaging library presentation for any 1st year courses that visit the library (go beyond the scavenger hunt or library tour). For us, this is a work in progress, but I’ll share our new library presentation here on my blog as soon as it’s ready.